About the Course
This innovative leadership development program provides senior leaders in PA State Government the opportunity to further develop their leadership abilities and succeed at the highest levels of their profession. Developed through a collaboration between Alvernia University, Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, and the Governor’s Office of Administration, this unique program gives participants the opportunity to enhance their understanding of their workplace culture and to learn strategies, tactics, and management techniques applicable to the unique challenges government employees face.
The program offers:
- Mentorship & networking opportunities
- Discussions on real life issues and concerns
- Leadership skills assessment
This course is intended for senior leaders working in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The program curriculum is based around case studies, team projects, role playing and scenario planning. Classes offer a “safe space” for senior leaders to discuss issues they may face in their positions while promoting inter-organizational collaboration.
The class includes lecture and discussion, case studies, exercises, and discovery.
The program is offered over a 3-month period. Classes meet every other Monday. Each provides a full day of in classroom instruction. Instruction takes place at Harrisburg University.
Topics covered include:
- Leadership versus Management
- Team Building and Motivating Employees
- Next Generation Workers
- Effective Communications
- Understanding and Working within the Constraints and Culture of State Government
- Successful Negotiation Techniques and Conflict Resolution
- Strategic Planning, Setting Objectives, Measures and Initiatives
- Performance through Excellence – Lean, Project Leadership and Project Management
- Customer Centric Approach to Providing Services
- Data-Driven Decision Making
- Continuous Process Improvement
- Managing Innovation & Change
A full course syllabus with topics by module will be distributed at Orientation.
To prepare for the Leadership Development Program, each participant will:
- Take a Personality Inventory
- Take a Leadership Skills Assessment
- Complete a short Personal Biography
- Identify one cross-organizational issue with which they have been involved.
Program participants are divided in teams. Each team is assigned a mentor/coach. The mentor/coach meets with the team at least once collectively and at least once with each program participant individually.
Attendance at a minimum of 90% of the sessions is required.
Awarding of a certificate of completion will be based on a pass-fail assessment of the program’s
curriculum, attendance, and project-based requirements.
The following materials are included in the cost of the course:
- Slides presented
- Speaker bios
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: $2,000
The tuition fee includes breakfast and lunch for full-day sessions, an opening reception, and graduation reception.
Parking is not included in the enrollment fee.
For information on parking in the Harrisburg University garage, and to view current hourly rates, please visit Standard Parking’s website at www.parkharrisburg.com.
Cancellation & Refunds
Harrisburg University reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses/events at its discretion. Should a program or event be cancelled by the University, a full refund will be issued.
If you need to cancel your registration and would like a refund, please email MMafnas@HarrisburgU.edu. Please attach the confirmation email that you received at time of registration.
- A refund of 100% will be issued within 7 business days of your registration date.
- A refund of 50% will be issued up until 8 days prior to the start of the course/event.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations 7 or less days prior to the start of the course/event.
The application form allows candidates to present their learning goals, past experiences, expertise, and knowledge they will bring to the cohort for consideration. Candidates will be notified in a timely manner as to their acceptance into the Leadership Development Program cohort.
Candidates will demonstrate the support of their senior leadership by submitting a letter of nomination written on their behalf. The nomination letter should include current position and responsibilities, along with skills, knowledge, and any special projects in which you are responsible.
The nomination letter should be addressed to “Leadership Development Program directors” and emailed to ProfessionalEd@HarrisburgU.edu with the subject line as, “Leadership Development Program Nomination Letter for [YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME]”
Applicants will be notified regarding whether they have or have not been accepted into the 2020 program. At that time, accepted applicants will receive full course details and an invoice for the registration fee.
See the specific deadlines under “Next Session” at the bottom of the page.
- Application Deadline: December 6
- Notification of Acceptance: December 16
- Orientation: January 23
- Module 1: February 24
- Module 2: March 9
- Coaching Session 1: TBD
- Module 3: March 23
- Module 4: April 6
- Module 5: April 20
- Module 6: May 4
- Module 7: May 18
- Coaching Session 2: TBD
- Module 8 and Graduation: June 1