The 2021 Cohort will be delivered virtually*!
About the Course
This innovative leadership development program provides senior leaders in PA State Government the opportunity to further develop their leadership abilities and succeed at the highest levels of their profession. Developed through a collaboration between Alvernia University, Harrisburg University of Science and Technology, and the Governor’s Office of Administration, this unique program gives participants the opportunity to enhance their understanding of their workplace culture and to learn strategies, tactics, and management techniques applicable to the unique challenges government employees face.
The program offers:
- Mentorship & networking opportunities
- Discussions on real life issues and concerns
- Leadership skills assessment
The 2021 Cohort of the Leadership Development Program will be delivered via an engaging and dynamic virtual platform.
The plan is to allow the cohort to attend virtually. However, if COVID-19 mitigation efforts end and CDC guidelines change, sessions may be offered in a hybrid format of in-person and virtual sessions for those choosing to continue using the virtual format.
This course is intended for senior leaders working in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, including both agencies on the Governor’s jurisdiction as well as independent agencies.
The program curriculum is based around case studies, team projects, role playing and scenario planning. Classes offer a “safe space” for senior leaders to discuss issues they may face in their positions while promoting inter-organizational collaboration.
- Classes meet online on Mondays from 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
- Program runs over a 4-month period
- Each date provides a half-day of virtual classroom instruction.
See full schedule at the bottom of the page for class dates
Below is a sample of topics that were included in past Cohorts. The sessions for 2021 will be posted at a later date.
Previous Cohort Topics Included:
- Leadership versus Management
- Team Building and Motivating Employees
- Next Generation Workers
- Effective Communications
- Understanding and Working within the Constraints and Culture of State Government
- Successful Negotiation Techniques and Conflict Resolution
- Strategic Planning, Setting Objectives, Measures and Initiatives
- Performance through Excellence – Customer Service, Lean, Project Leadership and Project Management
- Citizen-Centric Approach to Providing Services/Design Thinking
- Data-Driven Decision Making
- Leading Innovation
- Diversity and Inclusion
A full course syllabus with topics by module will be distributed at Orientation.
To prepare for the Leadership Development Program, each participant will:
- Take a Personality Inventory
- Take a Leadership Skills Assessment
- Complete a short Personal Biography
- Identify one cross-organizational issue with which they have been involved.
Program participants are divided in teams. Each team is assigned a mentor/coach. The mentor/coach meets (virtually) with the team at least once collectively and at least once with each program participant individually.
Attendance at a minimum of 90% of the sessions is required.
Awarding of a certificate of completion will be based on a pass-fail assessment of the program’s curriculum, attendance, and project-based requirements.
The following materials are included in the cost of the course:
- PDF versions of slides presented
- Speaker bios
- Access to the session recording links in the Learning Management System
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: $2,000
The application form allows candidates to present their learning goals, past experiences, expertise, and knowledge they will bring to the cohort for consideration. Candidates will be notified in a timely manner as to their acceptance into the Leadership Development Program cohort.
Candidates will demonstrate the support of their senior leadership by submitting a letter of nomination written on their behalf. The nomination letter should include current position and responsibilities, along with skills, knowledge, and any special projects in which you are responsible.
The nomination letter should be addressed to “Leadership Development Program directors” and emailed to ProfessionalEd@HarrisburgU.edu with the subject line as, “Leadership Development Program Nomination Letter for [YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME]”
Applicants will be notified on/around March 1 regarding whether they have or have not been accepted into the 2021 program. At that time, accepted applicants will receive full course details and an invoice for the registration fee.
See the specific deadlines under “Next Cohort” at the bottom of the page.