APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2016-2017 IT MANAGER PROGRAM HAS NOW CLOSED. Stay updated with announcements on upcoming GTI programs and open enrollment dates by emailing GTI@HarrisburgU.edu
The IT Manager Certificate Program is specifically designed for employees who currently serve or aspire to serve in positions focused on the management aspects of information technology and is designed to:
- Empower IT managers with the business and interpersonal skills that are essential in managing the complexities of information technology.
- Provide information and tools to lead their organization strategically; manage their team effectively; and support the organization’s leadership in executing key objectives.
Led by program facilitators, individual seminars are presented by subject matter experts, and include guest speakers, panel discussions and interactive group exercises.
The program is tailored to address priorities and challenges facing IT Managers. It will focus on the leadership and management techniques necessary to operationalize the CIO’s IT strategy, including contract management, personnel management, performance metrics, communications, problem solving, project management, leadership and more.
Participants will take part in a simulated decision-making and planning process associated with a complex, high-stakes project. In this program, the simulation will focus on challenges and opportunities of IT shared services.
- Digital Government and the Role of the IT Manager
- Technology Leadership: Moving from Technical Expert to Management
- Operational Strategy and Execution for Organizational Success
- Identifying and Prioritizing Solutions
- Using Metrics to Assess and Manage
- Understanding Administrative Frameworks, Rules and Resources
- Contract Management
- Project Management: Managing IT Projects and Technical Teams
- Communications 360: Direct-Reports, Supervisors, Vendors, Colleagues and the Public
- Problem Solving, Innovation, Technology’s Impact on People and Processes, Emerging Technologies
In order to be considered for the IT Manager program, an employee must be nominated by their organization’s CIO/IT manager and have:
- Mid to upper level Management classification
- Two years’ or more experience in IT operations or managing projects in the following core functional areas: application development, project management, computing and network, information systems security or telecommunications.
Candidates will demonstrate the support of their senior leadership by submitting a letter of nomination written on their behalf. The application form allows candidates to present their learning goals, past experiences, expertise, and knowledge they will bring to the cohort for consideration. Candidates will be notified in a timely manner as to their acceptance into the IT Manager cohort.
Schedule and Attendance
Classes meet in-person at Harrisburg University’s downtown center for 1 ½ days per month, for 10 months. Classes run from 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm on Thursdays and 8:30 am – 4:30 pm on Fridays. Participants are required to attend 90% of the scheduled class time in order to earn a certificate of completion.