About the Course
The Government Technology Institute’s signature initiative, formerly the Certified Government Chief Information Officer (CGCIOTM) certification program, targets the unique challenges of public and private sector IT executives. Today’s IT executives require sophisticated skillsets in leadership, strategy, and management. The IT Executive Program immerses IT Leaders in a comprehensive study of executive-level issues, including IT strategy and planning, governance, security, workforce development and the skills necessary to earn a seat at the executive table.
The IT Executive Program (ITE) is part of the overarching IT Leaders Program, which also includes the IT Managers Program. The IT Executive track includes approximately 21 more hours of education relative to IT Managers, specifically for IT Executives. IT Executives will join IT Managers for their part of the educational program. Combining parts of these programs offers many benefits, including the opportunity for IT Executives and IT Managers to interact during educational sessions, as well as, breaks and lunches. Interaction and collaboration with IT Executives and IT Managers will provide a better understanding and perspective of each other’s role.
The IT Executive Program is specifically designed for current and aspiring senior-level IT executives.
Designates IT professionals with a recognized credential representing essential qualifications for the role of CIO.
- Enhances the skills required to lead at the executive level, by focusing on strategy, communications, policy, finance, personnel and emerging technologies.
- Provides senior level IT professionals with a venue for peer learning, network building and brainstorming.
- Uses an applied strategic project for candidates to demonstrate mastery and produce a tangible product or service to benefit the organization.
- Allows IT Executives to hear from thought-leaders and industry experts with expansive knowledge and experience in topics taught as part of the program.
- Provides six (6) academic credits that can be applied to a master’s degree at Harrisburg University.
- President & CEO, Unisys
- CIO, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- CIO, United States Department of General Services
- CIO, Deloitte International
- VP, Global Mobility, CISCO
- Deputy Secretary for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Deputy, Office of Administration, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Executive Director, Pennsylvania House Appropriations
- Special Agent, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Former Deputy Commissioner, Pennsylvania State Police.
The curriculum is designed to address specific issues or challenges routinely associated with leadership required by the organization’s most senior IT Executive.
The curriculum is supplemented by a Capstone Project, whereby IT Executives have an opportunity to apply what is learned through the curriculum. Participants will take part in a simulated decision-making and planning process associated with a complex, high-stakes project. In this program, the simulation will focus on challenges and opportunities of IT shared services.
Presentations, group exercises, networking, peer learning and an individual capstone project make up the program.
Classes meet in-person, two (2) days per month, Thursday and Fridays from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- Module I: IT Leader’s Role in Digital Age
- Module II: Business Strategies and Strategic Planning Tools
- Module III: Leadership and Trusting Relationships
- Module IV: 360 Communications/Selling Your Ideas
- Module V: Data Driven Decision Making
- Module VI: Understanding and Leading Organizational Change
- Module VII: Cybersecurity
- Module VIII: Performance and Quality
- Module IX: Innovation and Emerging Technologies
To be considered for the IT Executive Program, applicants must be IT Professionals who oversee an IT organization, such as the CIO or IT Director for a government agency, collective of agencies, local government, school district, non-profit or for-profit entity. Those aspiring to be elevated into an IT leadership position can also be admitted given approval of their sponsor.
Each participant is expected to complete the Capstone project outlined in the “Curriculum” section.
Attendance at a minimum of 90% of the sessions is required.
Through the program, current and aspiring senior-level IT executives earn the Certified Government CIO (CGCIOTM) certification, six (6) college credits that can be applied to a master’s degree at Harrisburg University, in addition to learning to manage demands of their increasingly complex roles. Harrisburg University will counsel those interested in receiving college credits to ensure they meet all requirements.
- For-profit organizations (private): $2,995
- Non-profit organizations and government (public): $2,495
Parking and lodging are not included in the tuition fee. Students are responsible for parking and lodging costs.
For information on parking in the Harrisburg University garage, and to view current hourly rates, please visit Standard Parking’s website at: www.parkharrisburg.com
The application form allows candidates to present their learning goals, past experiences, expertise, and knowledge they will bring to the cohort for consideration.
The nomination letter should:
- Be address to “IT Executive Program Directors”
- Emailed to ProfessionalEd@HarrisburgU.edu with the subject line as, “IT Executives Certificate Nomination Letter for [YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME]”
The following information will be available in the spring of 2020.
Module 9 (Capstone & Graduation):