About the Certificate Program
The Business and Data Analytics Certificate is an online, four-course program that will help you gain hands-on experience with analytics tools such as Tableau, MySQL, and Python. It is offered as a full certificate program and also as individual courses.
Why Data Analytics?
- Data analytics skills are highly valued in nearly every industry and increasingly utilized in a range of job functions.
- Entry-level business analyst and data analyst jobs have grown 20% annually over the last five (5) years and continue to grow. These in-demand jobs include: Data Analysts, Business Analysts, Data Scientists, Data Engineers.
Learn core concepts and technical skills:
- Kickstart your journey into the high demand career area of data analytics and its diverse pathways.
- Integrate foundational analytics with practical technical skills to analyze and present data.
- Develop a portfolio of work in data analytics that can be showcased to employers.
Example projects to add to portfolio:
- Exploratory data analysis on real industry data requiring wrangling data, creating visualizations, calculating main characteristics, and developing hypotheses
- Scenario-based SQL case study resulting in an Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) of updated database and SQL script containing DDL and DML queries
- Dashboard created in Tableau using a given data set
This certificate program includes four (4) courses. Each course is 7 weeks and includes approximately 120 hours of content. In total, the 480-hour certificate can be completed in less than 8 months.
The certificate program was co-developed by Tableau, an industry leader in data visualization, to ensure the content and tools are aligned with the most current trends and tools used in industry.
This course will introduce you to the basics of Business and Data Analytics. You will develop your understanding of analytics in the context of an organization and gain experience with problem framing, stakeholder analysis, metrics, data wrangling, data visualizations, descriptive statistics, exploratory data analysis, and data storytelling in business.
- Use business framing techniques for analytical problem-solving process
- Use spreadsheet software to clean, analyze, and synthesize data
- Communicate analysis insights to intended audience
- Represent data and insights in charts and tables
- Conduct an exploratory data analysis (EDA) on a real dataset to make the business case for additional marketing funding
- Manipulate raw data using formulas and functions and organize for data visualization
This course will introduce you to the basics of SQL. You will learn to identify the role and structure of relational databases as they apply to data analytics, apply the Structured Query Language (SQL) in MySQL for data manipulation language (DML), apply the Structured Query Language (SQL) in MySQL for data definition language (DDL), and apply normal forms (1NF, 2NF, & 3NF) for database normalization.
- Manage a relational database for the purposes of data analytics
- Apply the Structured Query Language (SQL) in MySQL for data manipulation language (DML) and data definition language (DDL)
- Apply normal forms (1NF, 2NF, & 3NF) for database normalization
- Assess existing infrastructure of a company’s database, apply changes to the database and present insights to stakeholders
- Write multiple DDL and DML queries ranging in complexity to assess MySQL skills
- Complete sample technical interview questions in MySQL workbench to prepare for real world
This course will provide you with foundational knowledge on how to use Tableau’s software to create data visualizations that convey useful business insights.
- Optimize a large data set within Tableau to prepare for efficient manipulation
- Manipulate data (e.g., join and blend) within Tableau and connect data from other sources (e.g., Excel, SQL database)
- Create and design Tableau visualizations, dashboards, and stories
- Create a Tableau Story on a topic of your choice using a large dataset
- Create dashboard objects and interactive dashboard actions to best communicate key messages
This course will teach you to use statistical techniques to analyze data. You will complete projects using Google Sheets and Python.
- Conduct statistical assessments using discrete and conditional probability
- Develop multiple linear regression models
- Run A/B tests to test data hypotheses and refine solutions
- Conduct an exploratory data analysis (EDA) on rideshare data
- Perform descriptive statistics, create statistical visualizations, calculate probabilities, and deduce statistical inferences using Google Sheets and Python in Google Colab
Each 7-week course is delivered online, asynchronously, and includes approximately 120 hours of content.
Believing in the power of learning by doing, the courses take an applied, project-based approach to the curriculum. From day one, students start learning and using new digital tools in the online lab format. The curriculum assignments parallel real-world, on-the-job experiences that exist within the analytics space, allowing students to leverage their certificate to find success in an analytics role.
- Learn foundational concepts and technical skills in a project-based, online platform
- Practice using analytics tools directly in the learning platform
- Get individualized support and feedback from an instructor
- Add projects to their portfolio for employers
While there are no prerequisites, it is recommended that students have comfort with high school mathematics with a focus on algebra and statistics.
Your certificate earned at the end of the program will have Harrisburg University of Science and Technology and Tableau’s name on it, signaling the value of your learning to employers.
Students gain access to the asynchronous course, delivered through an online platform.
All materials are delivered through the online platform.
Each of the four courses must be completed within 7-weeks to receive the certificate of completion.
Other forms of payment accepted: If you prefer to send payment by check rather than by credit card online, please contact us for more information.
Bulk Registrations: You may register and pay for up to 3 people at one time. If you need to register more than 3, please contact us so we can assist you with a bulk registration.
To receive the certification of completion, all four courses must be completed.
Purchasing all four-courses in the certificate program up front saves approximately $1,200. The rates are:
- Private Sector: $5,769
- Public/Non-Profit: $5,250
If the four courses are purchased individually, the total course cost is up to $6,950.
The courses are also offered individually. Please see individual course information here:
Cancellations & Refunds
Harrisburg University reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses/events at its discretion. Should a program or event be cancelled by the University, a full refund will be issued.
If you need to cancel your registration and would like a refund, please email MMafnas@HarrisburgU.edu. Please attach the confirmation email that you received at time of registration.
- A refund of 100% will be issued within 7 business days of your registration date.
- A refund of 50% will be issued up until 8 days prior to the start of the course/event.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations 7 or less days prior to the start of the course/event.